How many of you have had mornings where you wake up looking less than ideal? I know I definitely have! Every morning, I scroll through Instagram and see wake up posts from other fashion bloggers in full makeup with their hair curled, sitting up in bed in pajamas with their breakfast. Their caption? Usually “Woke up to a beautiful day and yummy breakfast!” or “I woke up like this.” Well, hate to break it to you, but unless you’re sleeping with a full face of makeup on and someone curls your hair while you snooze, you most likely do not look that refreshed when you wake up.
But, my lovelies, you can! It’s easier to wake up with gorgeous, glowing skin than you might think (even if you didn’t get enough sleep!)
1. We all know how bad it is to sleep with makeup on, but does everyone actually remember to remove it all the time? Makeup will clog up your pores and cause acne or unsightly blemishes.
2. Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate! Regular exfoliation is one of the keys to glowing clear skin; it removes dead skin cells from the surface of your skin and it will help to keep the pores in your skin clear. How often you exfoliate will depend on your own skin type, but I usually exfoliate three times a week; once in the beginning, the middle, and the end, right before I wash my face in the evening.
3. I know many people who only wash their face once a day. But, your face should really be cleansed twice: once in the morning, and again at night. As your face gets exposed to the outside world, bacteria, pollutants, viruses, dirt, and old (dead) skin cells can get trapped on your skin. Gross! This is why it is sooo important to wash your face and remove any makeup before you sleep. In the evenings, after I’ve removed my makeup, I wash my face to remove any residue leftover, and wash it again in the morning to clean my skin from sweat and oil accumulated during the night.
4. Part of my nightly routine is getting two bottles of water and putting them on my bedside table. The first one, I drink before bed. The second is there because I usually get thirsty in the middle of the night, and I don’t want to have to travel far for a drink. Just one glass of water before you go to bed can make an enormous difference in the appearance of your skin. It will help keep you hydrated through the night, and is important for plump, healthy, glowing skin. If you do become dehydrated, one of the most obvious signs is dull, lifeless looking skin.
5. Don’t forget that humidifier! Between the air conditioner during the summer and heating in the winter, I find my skin gets drier and tends to flake- not a pretty sight! My humidifier helps put moisture back into the air and the noise it makes helps me sleep better at night. (Fun fact: I cannot sleep if it is quiet. I need background noise, but it has to be from a fan or filter)
6. Some of the products I’ve shared below are night oils that I use. My absolute favorite and highly recommended is the Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Oil. It does wonders for my skin overnight, and does not cause any breakouts like other oils & creams that I have tried.
7. If you’re like me, you’re more comfortable sleeping any which way except on your back; but unfortunately for me, sleeping on your face can not only cause acne and redness, but it also causes wrinkles and fine lines to form. Sometimes, you just can’t sacrifice comfort for looks, and that’s why it’s also important to make sure you change your sheets at least twice a week, and always wash your pillowcase. Dirt, bacteria, and allergens get trapped in the fabric, and if you sleep on your face these can transfer to your skin and cause acne.
I’ve also rounded up some of my absolute favorite products available to give you that glow from within look when you wake up, giving real meaning to the term “beauty sleep.”
Matcha Wake Up Wipes- Formulated with hard-working cleansers, antioxidant-rich matcha tea, skin brightening vitamin C, soothing aloe vera, and energizing caffeine, these portable, pre-moistened towelettes quickly and completely remove dirt, excess oil, and makeup. The easy, effortless, and portable wipes leave skin looking and feeling completely clean and refreshed.
Rose Gold Elixir- FARSÁLI’s Rose Gold Elixir is a 24-karat, gold-infused beauty oil that’s rich in vitamins, antioxidants, and essential fatty acids. Rosehip seed oil penetrates quickly to nourish your skin while visibly brightening and improving skin texture. It is packed with linoleic and linolenic acids, vitamin C, and vitamin A to help reduce the appearance of fine lines and discoloration. The pure 24k Gold flakes absorb right into your skin, leaving your skin naturally glowing and radiant.
Midnight Recovery Oil- Midnight Recovery Concentrate restores and replenishes for smoother, healthier-looking skin—all while you sleep. This powerful formula works at night when skin is most receptive to repairing itself from daily aggressors. A blend of oils deliver essential hydration and promote a softer, smoother, brighter complexion.
Body Lotion- Enriched with the finest skin-nurturing ingredients known to Kiehl’s for a rich, elegant skin texture, this luxurious moisturizer leaves skin soft, smooth, and super-hydrated.
Sleeping Oil- Luna works throughout the night to deliver more visibly youthful, luminous, even-toned skin in the morning. Trans-retinoic acid ester (retinol) complex reduces the appearance of pores and wrinkles, while visibly improving the signs of premature aging, including fine lines, uneven texture, age spots, dryness, and dullness.
Lip Butter- Butterstick Lip Treatment is a supremely hydrating and smoothing balm with a nourishing blend of oils and butters. Lips feel and look softer, smoother, and moisturized, and stay hydrated for up to 12 hours after application.
For more recommended beauty products, click here.
What are your favorite tips and tricks?